Zentangles!


Patterns Patterns Everywhere!

 


 Zentangles


Being the newbie in the group this is my first blog entry! Greetings to you all, and thank you for taking the time to learn all things 3 Girls and a Kiln.


I am going to take this opportunity to teach you all about the art of Zentangle©



What is it? 
 Zentangle© is the art of using repetitive and structured patterns to create beautiful imagery. It is an art form that is taken very seriously, and without having formal training, you cannot consider yourself a Zentangle artist. This system of pattern design was created by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts.

 

 The Rules of Zentangle©

IT MUST BE BLACK AND WHITE ONLY!
 Oops, I ALWAYS use colour

YOU MUST NOT USE AN ERASER!
 This rule I do follow, but only because I can never find my eraser when I need it!

DO NOT HAVE A PLAN!
Erm, I wouldn’t say I’m organized enough to  have a plan, more like  a vague idea.

IT CANT LOOK LIKE ANYTHING, OR HAVE AN UP OR DOWN!
My artwork always has an image, usually underwater creatures and coral.

 IT MUST BE DONE IN ONE SITTING
My artwork takes numerous sittings, it takes me in total between 5 and 35 hours

IT MUST BE 3.5 INCHES SQUARE        
That’s SOO SMALL! My pieces vary from 11x14 to 24x30 



So as you can see, my artwork is merely inspired by the zentangle movement.
I was always the student in class that sat doodling in my school books, so when I discovered this doodling could actually be considered art, I set to it, creating my own take on the art form.
I am still experimenting with pattern and imagery, and have lots more ideas in my head ready to be drawn, so keep an eye out on facebook and etsy.

Until then, here is the zentangle inspired pieces I have created so far-








Since becoming the third girl, I have also  transferred my zentangle inspired patterns onto ceramics-








So, now you know what it is, have a go at your own Zentangle, and if you’re not arty, pop by our etsy stall and pick up one of my prints :-)

-Debs



Comments

Popular Posts