5 Fantastic Outdoor Art Projects

Shaving Cream Marbling

Shaving cream is just one of those things that I feel is a staple to have in the house when there are kids in it. It can be used for so many fun arts and crafts activities, oh and good for shaving too..

I think a lot of parents are afraid of marbling because it is messy and I agree it can be, but that's why it is an outdoor art project! In my classroom I often used india inks that came with little droppers, but like food coloring they do stain hands At home with the kids I use washable paint.

Find the right container to put the shaving cream in. I like to use an old cookie sheet I have designated for outdoor use, but you can use metal bowl or disposable cake pan. Note that if you use plastic, food coloring could stain it, and glass with kids outside might not be the safest. You will also need a stick or paintbrush, paper, and a small piece of cardboard ( this will be used to scrap off the shaving cream, I like to use an old credit card).

Dispense shaving cream into pan nice and even in thickness. Then drizzle the paint on top of the shaving cream and using a stick or flip-side of a paint brush and  gently swirl the paint on top of the shaving cream. Now you are ready to marble.


Place a piece of paper on top of the marbled shaving cream and press the paper into the shaving cream. Pull the paper off and use the cardboard or plastic card to scrap off the shaving cream into the bin. This will also wash off with water if you scrap off into the yard or deck. You can also add more paint and marble another paper.  Then let your marbled paper dry in the warm sun!


 Once you let the paper dry you can use it for all types of projects, check out this hand print flowers we made using the marbled paper. I love seeing each boys hand on the same page.











Fluffy Sidewalk Paint

I love when I can just add something to another craft and make it better than the last; this is one of those times. We shared our recipe for homemade paint in a previous blog, and this fun sidewalk paint is an extension of that by adding my favorite ingredient: Shaving Cream! It should be noted that this recipe uses shaved chalk, but you can use food coloring or eyeshadow pigment to color the paint too.

I had the bottles from a previous project, but had gotten them at the local hardware store in the home goods section (for $1!). I used a funnel to pour the mixture in and it worked like a charm. I will note that if the flour isn't completely dissolved when mixing, it will clog the nozzle. You can remedy this by giving the bottle a vigorous shake to help move the flour clumps around. This chalk does last a while, is very vibrant in color and can be hosed off the sidewalk/concrete easily. Plus, it is pretty durable from siblings trying to ruin it once dry! Here is the recipe below:


Animal Planters 

This is a great art project for older kids and adults too, so dig out all those recyclables you have been saving for a rainy day and lets make some planters. I have my family so regimented that they don't throw anything away until they've asked me first if I'll reuse it or not, so I've got so many fun containers to make planters out of!



Take into consideration the shape of the container you are using and which animal might look best for the shape. I prefer round containers, but square ones work great too. First draw the animal outline on the container, then using a blade knife to cut through the material until you have the desired shape of you planter. I like to use a white base coat to prime the surface before adding other colors and details. 


Be sure to create a small hole in the bottom of the planter to allow for the water to drain. The possibilities are endless on this project, all you need is a recyclable container and your imagination!


Foam Paint Dispensers

This foam paint is a great way to use all of those empty foaming hand soap dispensers you've been going through at home during quarantine. Using minimal supplies you can create really neat looking paintings. Also great for younger kids of they get bored using a paint brush.

I like to mix a large batch of this paint mixture without food coloring, then pour into each soap dispenser before adding in the food coloring. Give it a little swirl in the bottle and the color is mixed. I also suggest using a thicker paper for this project as regular printer paper doesn't seem to handle the wetness of the foam paint and may buckle when it is picked up before the paper is dry.

With the clear glue in the mixture, I find when the paint is dry that it gives the painting a little glossy shine and makes the paper sturdy, which is always a plus when making kids art crafts.

This project can be done inside or outside but I find that when the paint is squirted out of the bottle it has a mind of its own and just goes everywhere!







Dinosaur/Fairy Gardens

Fairy gardens were not a thing when I was growing up, or maybe they were but I didn't know about them as a kid growing up in the 80's in Midwest America, but man I wish I did! They are so fun to make. Now my 3 year old ("Um, Mommy, I'm almost four"! Thats true...) isn't into fairies but really enjoyed putting dinos and trucks into this sweet mini garden  I made from an empty water jug.

I started by cutting of the top of the water jug, which ended up not being very sturdy so I added popsicle sticks to the outside for more support. I had some leftover wood stain in the garage so I stained the popsicle sticks so you wouldn't see the popsicle stain on them.


We had been collecting rocks and sticks and leaves on our daily walks and now we had a place to display them. If you don't have any popsicle or craft sticks, you can also use sticks from fallen trees to put around the base of your garden to make it sturdier, it gives it a more woodsy look.

I've also have all those pieces of trash that we haven't thrown away, like caps, lids, cans, jars and boxes. I made little toad stools from from wine corks and baby food packet lids. I also made a precious tiny bench from the sticks we've collect on our walks and a clothes line too!




Get more inspiration to make your own garden accessories on our Pinterest Board HERE. 












Peace, Love and Art

Facebook: @3girlsandakiln
Instagram: @3girlsandakiln
Etsy: etsy.com/shop/3girlsandakiln


Custom Stickers, Die Cut Stickers, Bumper Stickers - Sticker Mule

Comments

Popular Posts